What is Kind Inside Yoga?
Kindness is defined as the quality of being warm, patient, respectful, and present.1 Self-kindness is the practice of directing those qualities toward yourself. Studies show self-kindness improves immune system protection, creativity, calm, and connection, as well as leading to lasting motivation and habit change.2 Being “kind inside” builds the skills of self-kindness and compassion, so giving it to others comes more naturally.
Yoga means ‘‘to bring together’. Yoga is a mind and body practice that includes certain types of movements and meditations. There are many types of yoga. Mindful yoga is something any body can do, because the goal is not to achieve a certain position, but to move with presence.
Yoga is known to improve mobility, reduce pain, improve immune system function, reduce stress, help with depression and anxiety, and much more.3 The challenge is that our body does not perform the movements of yoga very often (or ever) and our mind is pulled in many different directions in daily life, so moving with presence does not come naturally. For most people, it is not easy to start doing yoga in a traditional yoga class. The truth is you don’t need to be flexible or good at mindfulness to do yoga. With a step-by-step approach, you can gradually give your body and mind time to practice the essential skills.
Since both kindness and mindful movement are skills that lead to greater health, well-being, and self-motivation, they are important parts of Exercising WELL.
Kind Inside Yoga™ by Exercising WELL combines the current information from movement and motivation sciences with traditional yoga practice. Whether you are new to yoga, or have many years of experience, you will come away with a deeper understanding about your body, skills for being more present and kind to yourself, and self-motivation to make yoga a WELL Habit.
Three ways to enjoy Kind Inside yoga
As an Exercising WELL member, along with all the other benefits you now get:
- Start WELL with Kind Inside Yoga. This program shows you how to build muscle memory for traditional yoga poses and strengthen the qualities of kindness. You learn modifications to traditional poses so they fit your body right now. You build your WELL Habit for a regular yoga practice. You progress at your own pace through the four steps of this program so you feel good from day one and give your body time to build skills of yoga and self-kindness.
- Stay WELL with Kind Inside Yoga. This section provides slightly longer yoga sessions so you continue to build your yoga and self-kindness skills.
- Zoom Yoga Sessions: During the pandemic, yoga sessions are held twice a week and are included in your Exercising WELL membership. Enjoy them live or access the recordings any time that works for you.
With this unique mind/body science-based approach to yoga, you learn how to do yoga in a way that fits your body, develop a more positive relationship with your body, and build your skill of self-kindness, all of which motivate you to continue making yoga one of the ways you can be well now. Plus, because your membership includes regular coaching sessions, you can also be confident you will stay motivated to continue your yoga practice at the times you need it most!
- Ferrucci, P. (2006). The power of kindness: The unexpected benefits of leading a compassionate life. Penguin Books/Penguin Group (USA).
- Neff, Kristen, PhD, Self Compassion Publications by Kristen Neff and colleagues. June 2020. https://self-compassion.org/the-research/
- Woodyard C. Exploring the therapeutic effects of yoga and its ability to increase quality of life. Int J Yoga. 2011;4(2):49-54. doi:10.4103/0973-6131.85485